So, you are in The Netherlands and you want to see the tulips. You have probably heard about the Keukenhof but did you know that there is much more to see than that? What would you say about a drive along the most beautiful fields. Go hiking along the tulip fields (not inside the fields!), ride a (electric) bycicle or visit special gardens and events. My tips about the best places to see tulip fields in Holland and when they bloom in 2023.
When are Tulipfields in bloom in Holland in 2023?
#29-01-2023. At this moments the Tulipfields are not in bloom. Expect narcissus crocus hyacint to bloom in March and Tulipfields to bloom April/May.
#30-04-2023. The tulipfields are in fool bloom. Now is your moment to see the tulips!
The best places to see tulip fields in Holland; Noord- en Zuid Holland
You can find the biggest concentration of bulb fields in the upper northern part of Noord Holland, roughly between Den Oever, Den Helder, Schagen and Medemblik. The special soil in the dunes makes this thé place to grow bulbs, so expect to see a lot of fields. Depending on the weather and temperature you can see some fields starting to bloom from the end of March. To avoid disappointment it is wise to check wit local athorities. The bloom can last until about half May.
We stayed in Castricum at the end of April. We checked the state of bloom with the local V.V.V. (Tourist Infomation Office) in Castricum. They helped us to pick the best time and we had a blast! We saw a lot of Tulips, Hyacinth and Grape Hyacinth.
The area around Lisse, Hillegom en Noordwijkerhout is another one of the best places to see Tulip fields in Holland. This bulb area lies just behind the dunes and is a lovely place to visit.
Another area where you can see a lot of bulb fields is West Friesland. This area lies between Hoorn, Enkhuizen en Medemblik.
Special events and places to see Tulip fields in Holland in 2023
- Bloeiend Zijpe. Depending on actual circumstances More information on this page.
- On Saturday April 23 you can watch the beautifully decorated vehicles of the Bloemencorso. The Flower Parade will depart from the Wilhelminaboulevard in Noordwijk on its way to Haarlem. The parade will pass by Keukenhof just as it did last year. More information on this site.
- The ANWB has a 60 kilometre long route by car which takes you through the bollenstreek and alongside the Keukenhof. The easy place to start the route is to take exit 7 (Oegstgeest) at highway A44. Then drive to the direction Katwijk/Rijnsburg.
- If you want to rent a car I can reccommend renting with Sunny Cars Nederland. They are a reliable compagny and everything is included.
No worries about insurance issues or hidden costs.
- From the Keukenhof you can ride a few routes on a bycicle. If you don't have your own bike its easy to rent one at the Keukenhof. The lenght of the routes varies from about 5 to 40 kilometres.
- There is als a route for bycicles near Hoorn in West Friesland (The North west of Holland). More information about this tour (in Dutch).
- Don't forget to buy some Tulips. You can find them at many small stalls all over the area and a bouquet costs just a few Euro.
TIP: weekends between half April to half May can be very busy around the Tulipfields. If you can try to visit the Tulips on weekdays!
The Keukenhof, tulips and more....
One of the best and surely the easiest places to see Tulip fields in Holland is when you visit the Keukenhof. The Keukenhof is a very big park and has the most amazing fields full of flowers. Every year a lot of tourist visit this beautiful park which is open in spring. You can get there by Public Transport or car.
In 2023 Keukenhof is open to public from March 23 until May 14. You can find all information about the Keukenhof on this site.
The noordoostpolder, Flevoland
All the places I wrote about in the first part of this article are in the west of Holland. If you visit the middle or east you can find some fields there as well.
In the Noordoostpolder (area around Emmeloord) you can find mostly fields full of Tulips.
We took our bicycles and rode along the best fields in the area. Read all about it in this (Dutch) blog.
Other places to see Tulip fields in Holland:
Although most Tulip fields are around Amsterdam and in the western part of the Netherlands you can also find Tulips in the eastern part of Holland.
Gronigen, Friesland and Zeeland
Thera are a few bulb producing compagnies an fields in these 3 parts of Holland. You can find some beautiful fields around the Groningse village of Spijk. If you want to visit the area be sure to ask around before you go there so you can find the best spots.
Tulip Fields in Drenthe
Nowadays you can also find Tulipfields in Drenthe. The Tulipfields are mostly concentrated around Dwingeloo en Diever and you can visit them by car or with bycicle. All Tulip routes will pass a Tulip picking garden where you can pick your own Tulips. How cool is that!
Are you looking for a nice hotel in Amsterdam?
The Savoy hotel is a nice hotel with friendly staff. Easily reached within a 15 minute drive from Schiphol airport or with a quick busride. It is located in a nice neighbourhood about 3 kilometer (1.86 Mile) from the citycenter. The Rijksmuseum is located at 1.2 kilometer (0.75 Mile) as is the Stedelijk Museum. The famous Albert Cuypmarket is at an easy walking distance from the hotel.
These are my tips for the best places to see Tulip fields in Holland. I hope that you have a wonderful time when visiting us and that you love the fields as much as I do! *Please do not ride your bycicle into yhe fields or lie in the middle of the tulips so they are kept well.
If you have any questions be sure to ask me! You can send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a comment below the blog. Your email adress will not be shown on the site! I will answer your question as soon as possible!